You know the feeling when you’ve found one of those places that you want to tell the whole world about. Koh Rong Samloem is truly this, a little slice of heaven for those visiting Cambodia. The island is only tiny and you can walk from one end to the other in a short hour or so. This is if you’re up for a majestic jungle walk past waterfalls and other tropical wonders!
This tiny island is one of the places me and my friends would go for a weekend away. It’s the perfect place to get away from the hectic life and travels that Cambodia and staying in Siem Reap brings with it. Not saying that I don’t enjoy the crazy, but it’s great to get away every now and then!
What to do in Koh Rong Samloem?
This is probably the best place you’ll ever find to do nothing. I often find it hard to sit still and always feel the need to go exploring, however on Koh Rong Samloem I’ve always enjoyed the slow life. This island isn’t popular for its many great sights or activities that can be done. It’s a place of serenity, to lie in a hammock and drink out of a coconut! Of course, there are some activities that you can do except sunbathing and swimming.
- Go snorkeling in the bluest waters
- Hike to Lazy Beach and/or Sunset Beach
- Get lost in the jungle and find the hidden waterfall
- Relax in the hammocks, they have them in the water here!
- Go on a boat tour to learn how to fish and do so more snorkeling
- Drink fresh fruit shakes and coconuts all day long
Where to stay?
There are only a few places to stay on Koh Rong Samloem as the island is so tiny. It’s really important to here to research where you’re going to stay. A lot of the accommodation have a private little bay and beach. This is, of course, incredible, but also means that you’re kinda stuck there unless you hike through the jungle.
With friends I’ve stayed at Mad Monkey lots of times, it’s rumoured to be a party hostel, but it’s definitely not that bad! They’ve got their own private bay and a boat which will pick you up from the main pier in Koh Rong Samloem. They’ve got delicious food, lots of drinks and the beds are to die for and aren’t too expensive! You can get a dorm room for about $5. They also have a bunch of swings and lots of hammocks that you can chill in. So if you’re looking for a great budget stay, where you can also make lots of friends. Mad Monkey Koh Rong Samloem is the place to be.
If you’re looking for something a little more resort like you shouldn’t worry, as Koh Rong Samloem has the place for you. From tiny moon-shaped huts to boutique resorts there will be something that suits your needs.
Some useful tips if you come to Koh Rong Samloem
- There are no ATM machines on Koh Rong Samloem, make sure to bring enough cash! Always bring double of what you think you’re going to need. It is paradise an people often end up staying longer than they planned. There is the option to hand in your passport and lend money from where you are staying, I personally wouldn’t do it as I never want to give out my passport. It’s proven to be legit. You give your passport, take a certain amount of cash and when you get on the mainland you go to the tourism office. Hand in the amount of cash you lend + an extra 10% and you get your passport back.
- Bring bug spray! There’s a lot of mozzies on the island, more than on the mainland.
- Make sure to not take the last boat from Sihanoukville. If you take the last one you’ll arrive on Koh Rong Samloem when it’s dark. It’s just no fun trying to find where you’re staying with minimal lights! Take the boat that leaves from Sihanoukville at 2 pm latest.